Wednesday 21 December 2011

THE BOX OF DELIGHTS - How To Make A Posset!


A favourite part of the Yuletide festivities here at Hypnogoria Towers is revisiting The Box of Delights, both as the original novel by John Masefield and the 1980s BBC Television six part adaptation. Indeed I have waxed lyrical about this seasonal classic several times on the Christmas editions of my podcast.

And aside from being a truly magical tale, it's a well-named one too. For as well as adventure, festive thrills, and lashings of snow, it contains a generous helping of legend amd lore. And one little hidden treasure is the marvellous recipe recounted by the Police Inspector at Condicotes, han hofficer of the law who habitually adds hextra aitches hall over the place! Hand, I mean, and, over the last few years when the cold and frosty nights have come, I have greatly enjoyed this vintage nightcap! I speak, of course, of the the wondrous posset! 

But what I hear you cry is a posset! Well, I shall hand you hover, I mean over, to the Hinspector...



But you young folks in this generation, you don't know what a posset is. Well a posset," said the Inspector, "is a jorum of hot milk; and in that hot milk, Master Kay, you put a hegg, and you put a spoonful of treacle, and you put a grating of nutmeg, and you stir 'em well up, and you get into bed and then you take 'em down hot. And a posset like that, taken overnight will make a new man of you!


Now then, if you were wondering what 'a jourm' is, it is a large bowl, often with handles, for drinking out of! But, don't fret if you don't have a jorum, any ordinary mug will do! 

Furthermore, you may replace the treacle with brown sugar or golden syrup, depending upon your taste. Personally I also like to add a generous dash of cinnamon for that extra Christmassy flavour! And I can personally attest to the revitalising powers the Inspector refers to! 




17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that! Been looking for the recipe for ages!

RaphaeliteGirl said...

Haha! Lovely 😄 I have heard tell that lemon in it is also delicious...

Theresa’s Sound World said...

Keep forgetting to make my own posset, must try it! Have you noticed though, in the TV version of Box of Delights, Kay has a really creepy nightmare straight after sinking his posset! Wonder if he woke up feeling a new man or not after that! :)

Artur Nowrot said...

Hi! I found your blog while looking for the meaning of "hegg" as I've just come across the inspector's recipe and, as English is not my native tongue, had no idea what that could be. Is it just an egg, but in dialect?

Artur Nowrot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Moon said...

Yes a"hegg" is just an egg - it is a quirk of the Inspector to add extra "h"s to words :)

Unknown said...

The build up to Christmas time wouldn't be the same without an indulgence of this classic. The BBC should consider producing an updated version of this classic, as it's been nearly 35 years since this adaption? The Wolves are still running!

Jim Moon said...

There was talk of big screen version a few years ago but naught seem to have come of that...

Unknown said...

My 9yr old brain was irrevocably altered to imagine life as mystical, sinister, and with anthropomorphocised critters with agenders, both good & evil, behind the skirting and below my feet.
Oh, and a posset is delicious!

Lelizer said...

Will it help someone who has trouble falling & staying asleep?

Lelizer said...

Also how do you stop the egg scrambling in the hot milk

Jim Moon said...

Possets have helped me sleep in the past! To stop the egg scrambling - the trick is to heat the milk and beaten egg very gently and keep stirring :)

Lelizer said...

Jim Moon thank you so much for your help, it was very kind of you. This advice will help very much. I wasn't aware you had replied, if I knew, I would have replied sooner, so I'm very sorry about the late reply in return.

Jim Moon said...

No apologies necessary as I was late spotting your comment anyway :D Happy posset making !

inlowercase said...

Yes. It's just a strange pronunciation of egg

Bells said...

Thank you for this recipe. My mum used to make it for us (we were huge Box pf Delight fans) and now I make it for my son. It never fails to make us feel cosy and Christmassy - even in October!

Anonymous said...

Just found your page as I was looking for recipes for a posset. After watching The Box of Delights as I do every year at Christmas, I remembered the police man's recipe and am sitting here now drink a posses with a 'hegg' and black molasses. just before going back outside to finish mucking out the horses! Hope it makes a new woman of me as I could certainly do with the energy!!!